Short one this. For a few years now I have become convinced that there’s an easy way to make discoveries and gain a PhD. Although this might be slightly controversial and I am prepared to accept my views are probably wrong, I do currently think that this is how some fields of research work.
- Take a phase of life or social behaviour (grieving, riots, middle-age, becoming a parent)
- Perform a survey of people going through this process or involved in these behaviours
- Look through your data to find correlations or patterns (humans are very good at this)
- Make up a causation-correlation statement or split the phase into sub-divisions
- Perform another survey to confirm your results
- Write up a PhD
- Write a popular style book explaining your results and what people can do to fix themselves
- All done!