This album is pure cock-rock and I love it. It’s got a very raw early 80s metal sound and isn’t too polished like their later albums. Way back when, there was a controversy about Nikki Sixx appearing in Kerrang! magazine where they thought they had proof that he had been replaced by someone else. I think what makes this album good is that it was self-recorded.
- Live Wire – great opening fast song.
- Come On And Dance – the opening riff is heavy as fuck. I love it. The cow bell makes me laugh every time.
- Public Enemy #1 – has some great heavy riffs but overall is a good rock song. Excellent for singing along.
- Merry-Go-Round – every Crue album has one shit song, almost by definition. This is the one for this album.
- Take Me To The Top – a good jogging song. Decent plonky bass and excellent sliding harmonics work from Mick Mars. Good chugging guitars too.
- Piece of Your Action – Slower paced but not terrible. I do have a thing for lead guitars and just bass with no rhythm guitars added. Speeds up halfway through, goes mental.
- Starry Eyes – A good start but then goes all soppy and I’m not sure I like it!
- Too Fast For Love – quality song. Excellent riffage and good start-stop stuff. A classic of its time.
- On With The Show – A good sing along as well. You can imagine this going down well live. Doesn’t quite hit the spot for me but I can see how it is a good song.
This is communication number 1943 so here are some things that happened that year, avoiding all the obvious shit:
- Shoe rationing goes into effect in the USA.
- The Paricutin volcano starts to appear in a field in Mexico.
- A race riot in Detroit kills 34.
- 2-3 million die in the Bengal Famine.